Sunday, February 22, 2015

Awkward IOC

This blog post is focused on the IB Internal Assessment: the Internal Oral Commentary.  In this assessment, we are placed with our teacher in a room while we talk about an excerpt we are given for about 10 minutes.  

If you so choose to listen to my sick, awkward, uncomfortable, and shaky voice, the link to the audio should be included below (Mrs. G I swear I uploaded it but if it doesn't work just know technology hates me and I'll email it to you):




I really love how I was sick for this assignment.  Gotta love nasally voices and sniffles.

Okay I'm done with complaining, here's the rest of the assignment...


Here's the break down of my self-grading:

Criterion A: 

7/10:  I give background of the text:  the range it was published, current events that influenced the writing of the text, the author's name, and a quick synopsis of the story.  I don't believe I chose passages that fully supported my comments upon the text  but I do believe my comments, observations, and claims were supported by the evidence I chose from the excerpt.

Criterion B:

5/10:  I talked about the tone created in the reader through the author's use of diction and ambiguity of the discussion of the woods.  But that's where it ended, and I believe that's all I discussed as far as author's influence upon the reader.  So do I deserve a lesser score? 

Criterion C:

4/5:  I believe I give the structure of what I am about to say before I go on saying it.  I give background in the beginning, I state my thesis, and then I follow the structure my thesis gives.  I don't believe it is impeccable or flawless, but I do believe it is "mostly coherent."

Criterion D:

3/5:  Throughout the commentary, I talk in a formal yet casual tone, as if I'm talking to a close friend's parent and I'm trying to talk to them in a respectful manner (to impress them) but I want to still show pieces of my personality, so I try to remain casual.  I also pause a lot and use "um" and "like" quite frequently.  




My excerpt and notes that I used for the IOC!  Wow they are soooooo neat (that was sarcasm).

No comments:

Post a Comment