Tuesday, September 23, 2014

It's "plass-koh-ness"

I'd say that both my first and middle name have little to no significance.  My first name was given to me because it started with a "P" (just like my last name!) while both of my grandmothers have the middle name "Louise."

That's nothing too special.  My last name, the one my parents didn't choose, has more history.

Once upon a time (80 years ago, give or take a few years) my great-grandfather and his wife and kids moved from the Ukraine to the United States.  My great-grandfather and his "Plaskonos-posse" were immigrating with a group of people from Greece.  As a result, the customs officials thought my great-grandfather's last name was Greek, and thus, spelled it (phonetically) incorrectly.

You see, before my ancestors moved to the United States, our last name was pronounced "vlass-koh-niece" (fun fact: it is literally translated to "flat nose").  The customs official responsible for the papers for immigration spelled it as "plass-koh-nohs."  Currently, my family says it as "plas-koh-ness" to preserve at least a part of the original pronunciation (the "niece" piece).

To be honest, it's awesome having a last name that no one (I know) else has, but it's kind of a double-edged sword.  On one end I'm thinking "Woah it's so unique and cool!" and on the other I'm thinking "No one knows how to say it without help, and that's annoying."  I usually ask my friends to call my dad "Mr. Plaz" or "Mr. P" just so I don't have to correct them.

When I was younger, I used to be upset when people said my last name incorrectly.  Now, I've given up on correcting people when pronouncing "Plaskonos" incorrectly, but if someone asks how to say it, they will say it correctly by the time I'm done with them.

These are just a few mis-pronunciations that I've heard:

  • Plass-kah-nohs (this is very common, but where does the extra "a" sound come from?)
  • Plass-kin-nohs
  • Plus-kah-niss
  • Plus-kin-ows
  • Plass-koh-nass

(This is especially annoying when my close friends have no idea how to say my surname.)
I'd rather have a last name that sounds cool, has history, but not difficult to say.  "Smith" and "Scott" would be too simple.  Something along the lines of "Genesky," or "Franch," would be ideal.

Even though my last name is difficult to pronounce, I still want to keep it through marriage.  My surname helps keep me rooted to my identity; why would I get rid of something I use to identify myself?

I am Paige Plaskonos.  I am a part of a family, a team, and a school.  I struggle with a question:  is it more important that I define myself as an individual or a part of a whole?  Let's take a step back: in order to retain my individuality between social circumstances, I try to remain the same person between each group.  Constant, if you will.  I don't make an attempt to be "fake," but I want people to like me, so I socially adapt.  If socially adapting makes me fake, so be it.

By subjecting oneself to a group, a person is stripped of his or her identity.  This person is now labelled, and instead of celebrating what makes this person unique, we now celebrate what he or she is a part of.  We begin to celebrate parts instead of wholes.  What I find interesting, is each person wants to be the same and simultaneously stand out.  You can be the same by being a part of a group, but you can only stand out by what separates you from the group.  What makes you unique, defines you.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! It is so interesting that you know such a detailed backstory of your name. I didn't realize that you said “plass-koh-ness” so that you could keep the sound of “niece.” I have always said “plass-koh-noss” because you have said that’s also a way to say it, and it helps me spell it! However, it will be “plass-koh-ness” from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the "niece" part! I think that is a super cool way to keep that part of the name. I wish my last name was that cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...still going to avoid saying your last name whenever possible

    ReplyDelete